Monday, March 23, 2009

Extra curricula activities

Extra curricula activities are an important part of the homeschooling experience. As a taxpayer, my children are eligible to participate in sports and other activities through the local public school. But as a family, we choose to find alternative avenues for outside activities. Our local community center, private clubs and bartering with other families works best for us.

For the first 2 years, my 2 oldest participated in swimming lessons; one session after the other. During the summer months, we joined the reading program through the public library. For our 3rd year, things needed to be changed up. So, my 2 oldest and I joined a fencing club. (I hope that my children are proud to have their pregnant mom fencing with them. I try to be a good example for them and I want to be more than just a "taxi driver".)

Our fencing season runs October through March. We are having so much fun. We will start swimming again this summer. The summer reading program is literally mandatory for us.

The video attached is of my 13 yro son (dark pants w/white stripes) and my 10 yro daughter (white sneakers) bouting tonight. I think that they are pretty good for rookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment