Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Our 1st Year

Our first year was full of experiments. Experimenting with days and times to work and learn. Experimenting with different workbooks and curriculum and software. Finding appropriate and stimulating outside activities (swimming, reading programs, fitness programs, etc). My mailbox was full of catalogs. It was, at times, overwhelming but I knew in my heart that we, as a family, were doing the right thing and that time and patience would be our greatest asset. It was going to take time and patience to sift through all this newly found information. It was going to take time and patience to find a curriculum that worked for my children. It was going to take time and patience to understand the laws in my state regarding documenting "educational progress".

In 2006, our first year, only 2 of my children were of compulsory age to be educated. I made the decision that year to keep my 3rd and 6th grader on their respective levels in the areas math and English. I decided that for the areas of history, science, geography, art and second language that we would all be studying the same topics. Each of them understood and discussed the topics at their own level of understanding. That part of our first year worked out great for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment